Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sebago Lake 8-30-08

It was a beautiful day as Mom, Alan, Pilot & I set out on sebago for some sun & fun. After breaking the downrigger (sorry Dad) I had internally given up hope to catch togue today and I really didn't think the Salmon would be coming up from the thermocline on a hot August day. Regardless of that sentiment, I put the fly rod out there with full sinking line. I really think streamers are the way to go on this boat. It's hard to troll this thing under 3mph and streamers seem to do the best at higher speeds. Anyway, after a little while of trolling I see the fly rod tip bend just a little...no line was being taken out yet. I immediately grab the rod and execute a text book hook set (I think). As soon as I did this I could feel the weight of the fish and all he wanted to do was go back down to depths in which he had come from. This doubled my rod over and made it very difficult to hand line the fish. This thing was a powerful swimmer and at that moment I wished I had tried reeling him in as my hands were cramping. There was no turning back given the amount of line I brought in already. After a nice long battle I sense we're coming to the end and I'm hoping Alan can net him before he comes out of the water and tries to spit the hook out. I brought him in as close as possible and Alan just about jumped out of the boat to get him with the net. What a beauty.





About 22" with a beautiful hook jaw and a lot of purple in the head that did not come out in the picture that well. He made a nice meal for everyone at UB's house.

No comments: