Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Day 2, Rangely Lakes Region, 7-20-08

Somehow we got at it before "Slider" this morning, I think we woke up 4:30am maybe...ouch. (FYI- Slider (Pronounced: "Slidah!") is the nick name for a local who gave us a bunch of info about the lake. He taught us how to use a "slider" rig on the down rigger. At least I think he did. It was hard to understand him and whenever I tried this method it wound up in a tangled mess.) So...with a fresh pot of coffee in tow, we ventured off to the main part of the lake.
Not a whole lot of action at first but we did manage a few small ones. After a while, we did pick up one on the down rigger. And not too long after that a nice 16" salmon slammed my streamer fly that I had on the fly rod. I think it was a territorial thing because he got hooked in the side of the head and did about 4 tail walks to the boat.
Not a bad morning so far...But now it's time for breakfast. Salmon scramble is on the menu today and it's my favorite!

After a hearty breakfast, the rain had picked up so we decided to take the fishing to a nice river not to far from the site.



I was working hard to get my fly across the river to some rises but was wishing I had waders...
Down stream , Alex was having some luck.
Alan was working hard to get over to some rises as well.



His hard work paid off when he wrangled in this beautiful brook trout.



You know it's big when it won't fit in your landing net!!!


After letting this lunker go & a round of high fives, we went back to the site for the end of day 2.

No comments: